Thursday, June 22, 2006

I do crazy things, but they usually pay off!

And yesterday was no exception! Pull up a chair and relax while I share my experience with you.

I was driving home from work, and let me be perfectly honest; I do not listen to the radio 'like that'. So when I hear something on a radio broadcast.......I believe it was meant for me to hear it! I happened to be switching cd's (once you take a cd out, the radio automatically comes on) and 92Q's Lonnie announces that Method Man


Yes this fine piece of man, was in Maryland, in the 92Q studio..........within my reach!

No I wasn't on no groupie status (eventhough he definitely could get it)....I am working on a new song where the producer sampled Meth's voice for the hook. So as soon as I heard he was in the studio, I felt like I needed to go see him, but for what? At that exact time, I didn't know. I continued to drive home (which is in the complete opposite direction of the radio station), when Method Man says : "If I'ma give it to ya, I'ma give it to ya RAW". BTW, that is what my hook says......uh-oh, now you got an EXCLUSIVE! But anyway, I swear at that exact moment, it was if GOD herself said "Go to the station, let him hear the song, see if he'll get on it........NOW!!!!" But I still doubted myself, and called Niige (the producer) and told him what Meth said, he instantly replied "You should go up there and see if he'll give you a 16 for the joint." It was almost 6pm, and I had to record at 8, so being late was inevitable if I went to the station........Niige was like "Go, Mike will understand after you tell him whats up.........just call and tell him you'll be late!" So I switched directions on the road, and headed up to 92Q to meet Mr. Tical himself. On my way to the station, I got a call from my sis, B-Fly. This girl is a trip yall.....we shared a quick laugh, she sent me some positive energy, and we said we'd connect later (well it's later B, lol).

I got up there, and I felt like everyone was staring at me, thinking "What the hell is she doing here?" I called my BF....we chatted for a second, he gave me some ideas of what to say when I met Meth, and we hung up. An hour went by........I swear this hour felt like 2 days. I pulled out my sidekick and was typing an email to let Mike Mac know I'd be late for my session.....just as I was about to press send, Mike calls me. We chat for a few, he laughs cuz I tell him I can't tell him why I'm late cuz I don't wanna jinx anything, he laughs and proceeds to go over what we're supposed to work on when I get to the studio. While talking to Mike, I notice a pretty handsome guy going into the truck I 'suspected' was Method man's. He pulls out a few shirts, looks them over, puts one on....and proceeds to chill outside. I hang up with Mike and decide to put on the ShellBe charm, lol. I go over to him and say "Wear's my shirt?" He blushes and says "If I'd have known you'd have wanted one, I would've brought another one!" I do this lil giggle thing I do.........when I do what I do! LOL....... and then he asks me what I'm doing up here. I tell him "I'm waiting for Method Man", which looking back in retrospect seemed very groupie-ish...........then I tell him my story about how I heard Meth on the radio station and decided to come up there and give him a copy of my song and get a 16 from him. The dude instantly laughs and says "shorty most people would ask for a drop or an intro, you asking for a 16, thats Gangsta", I said something slick like "Hey, why cheat myself". Then here comes the bullshit : "So what you a singer?"...........Come on man, do I like that prissy, lol..........but anyway, I tell him I rap, he says he doesn't believe me. I invite him to hear the song, so he follows me to the car, listens to the song..and the entire time his head is on the 'Ogun-headnod-tip' (for those that haven't witnessed that, it is a rediculously passionate and very involved nod...........LOL). He tells me I'm hot, and he digs my style........I say "Thanks", thinking this whole time, "WHO THE HELL IS THIS?" , but I swear you gotta treat everybody nice (and most importantly, be yourself), cuz you never know.


I know yall are probably like OK ShellBe get to it.....did you meet Meth?
HELL TO THE YES I DID!!!

He came out of the studio, and looked over at my car like he was waiting for me. I grabbed my cd, and jumped out of the car and walked over to him. He extended his hand, I shook it and introduced myself. Then his homeboy, yes the dude who was chattin' it up with me. Runs out the door and says :"That's Shell-Be-RAW, yo!" Then Meth says : "So where's the song?" I gave him the cd, and he says "So the hook is.........'If ya give it to me, yeah, give it to me RAW' right?" I almost fainted......then his people started grabbin' him tellin' him that they are running late. So I said my goodbyes, and he told me he was going to listen to the song as soon as he got into the truck. His homeboy gave me the thumbs up, and said bye.

I feel really accomplished.....I set out to do something, and I did it. There is soooo much more to the story, but I didn't want to type your head opff so I tried to keep it to the most important stuff. But the bottom line is.......if nothing else, I got to meet Method Man, and actually put my music into his hand!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exit Rapper Enter Groupie
lol

That's that drive yo thats a story for behind the music VH1

Stay on your grind shawty

Thursday, June 22, 2006  
Blogger C Love "The Rap Addict" said...

very cool experience!

Thursday, June 22, 2006  
Blogger ShellBe RAW said...

Fingaz - You are a clown yo, but you are right, VH1 will love that ish!

C- I bet these fellas would never do anything like go up to 92Q on a whim,huh? LOL

Thursday, June 22, 2006  
Blogger C Love "The Rap Addict" said...

hell nah!

It was once said by a famous rapper ...

Baltimore is the only city that he ever comes and no artists come up to the station and try to meet them. Most ppl here are straight up lazy....or they realize/think...LOL the artists are prolly strugglin their damn selves and cant help them.

But you never know....what is it really for meth to do that hook for you....especially if he likes you....

now if he has sold his publishing..he prolly cant do it ..LOL! but that is a diff story. Sounds like an experience you will remember for ever.

Meth is the sexiest Wu & i love the song with L-Boogie!

Thursday, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go, shellz!

(insert obligatory "meth is sexy as hell' comment here...lol)

Thursday, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats whats up .. you know we worked with the wu and thats how you do it.. they cool and they down to build .. keep on your grind and if you ever need us we right hear...

Thursday, June 22, 2006  
Blogger C Love "The Rap Addict" said...

eh...did you peep ur pics from the afram...LOL!

Good Luck this weekend!!!

Friday, June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home