Friday, June 16, 2006

What's your NEXT move?

I'm probably gonna get frowned at for making this comment but hey......I have come to learn that most artists don't think 'proactively', they don't have their next move lined up, and/or planned out. They think that being played on the radio is the key to their success; the end all, be all.......and since everyone wants to use the South as an example; Ask all the Southern artists how long their song(s) have been on the radio (in heavey rotation for that matter), before they got their ish to 'pop'?

I myself was guilty of this.......when I went up to 92Q to get "RAW" played. Now if they would have put it into rotation......what did I have lined up for after that? What was my plan of action? Nothing...let's say "RAW" (Click here to HEAR my song "RAW") became a HIT,(and I use this term very loosely and figuratively.......because what is a HIT exactly? But that discussion could be a whole other post!)Where is my follow up record? Where is my marketing/promotional budget? Hell, where is my complete (or close to complete) album? And the list goes on..........as Mike Mac would say: "Bottom line is....." I was NOT ready!

Honestly, that situation made me fall back and evaluate my approach......ENTIRELY!!!

So...................with all that being said, just beacuse I'm not on the scene like I used to be; don't think I'm falling off. I'm just changing/re-evaluating my approach, and reformatting my game plan. I didn't come to be a bench-warmer, or be the player with the most potential......I came to be the STAR player in the starting line-up.

Watch out now!



Visit C-Love's Blog to view the Post that sparked today's "Food for Thought"

Don't forget to come by my place on
MYSPACE

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool, I used to think proactively like that when I was doing it with my people.

They'd always say lets do this, yadda yadda yadda, lets do shows.

I'd always say, "and then what...?" We didn't even have tangible product to hand out and/or sell.

A lot of people are just short sighted and want instant gratification. We don't live in an era where people get signed after singing on some street corner or like Kriss Kross, how JD saw them in the mall and thought they looked cool. This is an era of hustling and positioning. If you build a buzz and you have nothing for the people to put in their hands, they will forget you existed.

Like I used to say, we can do shows, people MIGHT feel us, but then what. If we don't have product, they'll forget who we were before they got home that night.

Shellbe, your a thinker, your gonna do this and do it big, I wish you so much success.

Peace!

Saturday, June 17, 2006  
Blogger ShellBe RAW said...

Darryl, you are a true supporter! Your words often encourage me to keep it movin' when the times are getting tough....

Thanks!

Monday, June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home