Friday, December 23, 2005

MaMa RAW represents in B-More

Two days ago, I had a show at the Sonar Lounge in downtown Baltimore city. This show like many other shows was a hop, skip, and a jump away from an 'Open Mic' but for some reason it felt different. For one, I had a new outfit; for two, the entire 360.......except for Rell was there; my cousin Beth finally left the house, and came to the show; and most importantly my mom was there. Look at her....damn we look alike, at least I know I'm gonna be fine when I get to be her age! LOL!!!!!!

I think that I wasn't completely believing in myself because I knew that my parents weren't completely accepting of my decision to "seriously" persue music. Coincidently, about a week ago I decided to put school on hold, and completely thrust myself into my music. I had been struggling with this decision for awhile, but I really felt like it was time to just say F*CK IT!!!! So I came clean to my mom, she heard me out and then told me that she has never seen me be so interested in anything like this before. Then she mentioned that she wanted to see me perform, in order to see what I was really capable of. So I went online and found her a flight from Boston, for $200. I booked the flight, and told her it was her Christmas present. I really coulda used that $200 on some much needed covers for my cd's, but after the feedback I got from my mother, following my performance..................I can't front it was $200 well spent.

My mom was dressed in the nice " www.ShellBeRAW.com " T-Shirt. She honestly looked like a fish out of water for real, but she was there to see her baby, so you can't be mad at that! When I was on stage performing, I kept making eye contact with her. Its almost as if no one else was there. For some strange reason, I felt like this was the only chance I had to make my mother believe in me, and my dream. So I went extra hard........to the point that I still have no voice today!! It paid off, I got some great feedback from people in the audience, and as soon as I stepped off the stage my mom greated me with her look of approval. Her exact words were "Wow, you really do have a gift. You looked so natural on that stage. I'm your mother, and I felt like I was meeting an entirely different DeDe when I seen you perform, you're like a whole different person on stage"........... Yeah 'DeDe' is what my family calls me...........but don't get any ideas :) Then get this one, she says: "You really ARE the shit".............my mom don't even cuss at all, so I was really shocked at this remark. But it felt so good........I can't even front. No matter how many people support me, or compliment me; it just meant so much to have my mom's support! Now that I am fully equipped with my mom's complete acceptance, approval, and support.......I think I'm ready for the next level!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's def what's up, validation from mom dukes. I was doing poetry for a living for years-- my mom was at the shows, but she really didn't think what I did was really a commodity until that damn HBO show. "Oh that's what you do". Congrats again shells. Make sure you hit my blog up

tif.everythingsoul.com

Saturday, December 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad Moms was there to support you. I have to make it to B-More to see you perform. That is on my list for New Years. You know i love you and support you till the end.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home